ArmorBuilt® Wildfire Shield
ArmorBuilt® Wildfire Shield is a heavy-duty fire-retardant mesh designed to protect wood poles from fire damage. The ArmorBuilt mesh effectively protects all wood pole species and treatment combinations, including CCA treated pine poles. The unique intumescent coating fuses with a fiberglass mesh that provides excellent charring and flame resistance by forming a protective layer around the wood pole in the presence of fire.
Benefits of ArmorBuilt
- Versatile – ArmorBuilt mesh can be installed as a single or double layer to address variable types of fuel loading situations.
- Durable – When properly applied, ArmorBuilt Wildfire Shield has an expected service life of more than 20 years.
- Ease of Installation – ArmorBuilt can be applied quickly by a two-person crew using common, corrosion-resistant fasteners.
- Safety – Chemical leaching tests showed no environmentally harmful compounds in the intumescent char following exposure to fire.
- Conductivity – Electrical resistance testing commissioned by the manufacturer concludes that the ArmorBuilt mesh, when applied to a wood pole, conducts/has resistance very similar to an unwrapped pole. Therefore, it does not add electrical conductivity to the pole.
- Breathable coating – ArmorBuilt does not contribute to wood pole decay.
- Serviceable – Once applied, the mesh does not interfere with the serviceability of the pole.
- Extensively tested – ArmorBuilt has been fire tested in a variety of wildfire simulations, and to proposed ASTM standards, all demonstrating excellent results.
Fire-Guard is a heavy-duty coating designed to protect all species and treatments of wood utility poles from fire damage. Tests have proven that the latex-based formula provides excellent flame resistance and can withstand years of outdoor weathering. Fire-Guard is available in spray-on and brush-on formulas. Safety Data Sheets and labels are available upon request. CA Residents: Proposition 65
Benefits of Fire-Guard
- Long-lasting - when applied properly, Fire-Guard products can withstand years of outdoor weathering and multiple burn incidents, depending on intensity and duration of the burn
- Cost-effective - Fire-Guard helps reduce the cost for of post fire repairs and replacements
- Easy to apply and dries quickly
- Easy to clean up with soap and water
- Safe - Fire-Guard contains no solvents, plasticizers, or asbestos; has no metals or sharp edges; has near zero volatile organic compounds (VOCs); and requires no specialized training and minimal personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Servicable - once applied, Fire-Guard does not interfere with the serviceability of the pole. The coating is gaffable and borable so the pole can be inspected, remedially treated, or repaired
Fire-Guard is for use on both transmission and distribution poles in a variety of locations, including:
- Marshy areas
- Pasture lands
- Crop lands
- Controlled burn areas
- Brush and low timber
Read our feature "Trial by Fire" in Utility Products Magazine to learn about what is effective fire protection and successful fire mitigation.